Re: What driives me crazy about bugzilla(att: Rahul)

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 10:33 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:35:05 -0600, Aaron wrote:
>
> > I understand that creating a bugzilla entry is the only way developers
> > can hear of a problem. But over and over I file a bugzilla and get no
> > response.
> >
> > On 12/08/09 I filed a bugzilla about a problem that in both Gnome and
> > Nautilus executing Places->Network reveals Windows machines on the LAN
> > but not fedora machines. This worked correctly on F11 but not on f12.
> >
> > It has been 2 months , almost, since the bugzilla and I have seen no
> > response. It is really frustrating. What is one supposed do?  I have go
> > real response to this problem from the list either.
>
> See:
>
>   http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/nautilus
>
> It may take some time. It may take much more time to see a reply or none.
> Some people are overworked and flooded with hundreds of bug reports for
> more than one package. Some packages are bug-infested. Sometimes it may
> make more sense to also report a problem directly to the current
> developers at the Nautilus project.

Your posting reminds me of the old Yiddish tale of the couple who came
to the Rabbi to settlethewre differences, The husband told his side of
the conflict and the Rabbi replied,"You are right". Then the wife told
her side of the story and the Rabbi replied,"You are right". The Rabbi's
wife piped up and said, "they can't both be right". And the rabbi
replied "You are right".

Some of the points you are making are correct and some aren't. Your
suggestion that I should address my problems with nautilus to the
nautilus group is wrong. That is what bugzilla is supposed to do. I
can't take the time to learn the location of the developers of all the
1,000 -2,000 programs in a Linux distribution. Bugzilla is supposed to
channel my query to the right people.

You are correct that the developers are taxed to the limit to handle all
the complaints but if no action is taken on each complaint the whole
bugzilla system is questionable.

This problem was minor but in the past I was the system administrator of
a network of 80 Linux computers and a problem with one of the system
components failed and its failure was critical for the running of the
system. No response was offered to my bugzilla request until we were 2
versions further in the Linux development tree so the repose was
useless. Bugzilla can't  be used with that kind of response time. And
that was my whole point.