Re: Open source medication adherence tools?

Tim:
>> Pity the poor pharmacist who has to help a customer configure their
>> reminders, as well as the usual advice about taking their medication...

Bryn M. Reeves:
> Seriously? Are you genuinely concerned about that?
>
> I'm honestly unsure if you're joking or not. :)

I'm semi-serious...  Have you ever tried to get something technical
going for someone completely non-technically minded, who's never going
to get it?  "Frustrating" is an understatement.

Just recently I spent ages working out how to get some rather fancy
blood sugar reading gadget working for my mum, who just can't understand
anything about using it beyond about two steps.  If they don't do what
she expects, she's lost.  And after some 50+ years, she still hasn't
learnt she has to wait for dial tone before trying to dial a number.

It'd have to be a damn foolproof device to survive what fools would do
to it.  Not just breaking, but misconfiguring it to the point where
someone else has to spend ages un-stuffing it.

> Do you worry about ISPs being asked to help configure Fedora or the
> impact on other retailers and service providers who's products might be
> used with an open source or other software tool?

I don't "worry" about it, but I feel sorry for technical support who
have to deal with the silliest of things from the silliest of people,
and have to explain quite complex things to someone over the phone who
doesn't have a clue about what they're doing.

One of the second best things about my move to Linux, was being able to
tell my clueless Windows friends "I don't use Windows anymore," when
they ask me about trying to deal with browser won't browse, how do I get
rid of a virus, and so on, and so forth.  ;-)  Now, the conversation
lasts about 15 seconds, instead of 15 minutes.  I've spent well over an
hour on the phone, before, hand holding through the most basic of fixups
to things.

When someone asks me about fixing up their Windows box, now, my opinion
about having to do it is comparable to being asked to unblock their
toilet with my bare hands.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686