Re: What driives me crazy about bugzilla [Making Progress]

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> What I saw under F11 was icons for all the Fedora machines on the
>> LAN including the one I am on and I would expect to be able to open
>> the icon and login to the machine. You can do that using Places->
>> Connect to Server but then yo need to know in advance the machines
>> name or ip address. Using Places->Network seems easier.
>>
> OK....  I got an F11 system up and running.  And I now see what you
> want.
>
> On the F11 system I bring up "Places->Network" and indeed there are
> icons labeled "f11" and "f12".  Clicking on the "f12" icon brings up
> a login dialog which then results in an sftp connection.
>
> Now.....  The reason you see this on F11 and not F12 is that F11 is
> sending out MDNS query broadcasts and F12 is responding.   *However*,
>  F12 is not sending out MDNS queries.  I thought this was due to the
> file /etc/sysconfig/network contained "NOZEROCONF=yes" but changing
> it to "no" has had not effect.
>
> So, need to figure out how to get F12 to send MDNS queries.....

OK....this is most definitely a GNOME issue.....

I sniffed the wire for MDNS requests....

When one starts a GNOME session (no open windows, etc...) an F12 system
does not send out any MDNS queries.  Once you click on "Places->Network"
it will send out MDNS queries, but *only* for PTR records.

When one starts a KDE session an F12 system will quickly send out MDNS
queries for PTR *and* SVR records.  Subsequently, you can start dolphin
then click on Network and then Network and you'll see icons for both
your local system and a remote system.

So, on F12 KDE works pretty much as expected/desired.  GNOME does not.

With all that said, I believe the most important difference is the
questions asked in the PTR queries from GNOME between F11 and F12.

From F11....

Standard query PTR _ftp._tcp.local, "QM" question TXT
f11._ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question SRV
f11._ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question TXT f12._ssh._tcp.local, "QM"
question SRV f12._ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR _smb._tcp.local,
"QM" question PTR _ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR
_sftp-ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR _webdavs._tcp.local, "QM"
question PTR _webdav._tcp.local, "QM" question

From F12....

Standard query PTR _ftp._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR _smb._tcp.local,
"QM" question PTR _sftp-ssh._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR
_webdavs._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR _webdav._tcp.local, "QM" question

So, you can see F12 GNOME isn't asking about ssh or sftp services.  I
haven't found the magic setting to change it.

Maybe you can/should modify your bugzilla to include this information.
Or maybe someone here will now come up with the answer.  It could be as
simple as having not installed a given package....

Ed