Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Brian Mury wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 08:51 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I don't have access to and r600 or r700 based cards. I have a rv280 at
>> home and an rv530 at work and both do 3d currently.
>
> I also have an rv280 that I have been having problems with. I'm curious
> if you are using kernel or user space mode setting, and what you have in
> your xorg.conf (if anything).
>
> My experience is:
>
> KMS: 3D works but is slow, 2D is so slow it is unusable (can't even
> watch a low-def youtube video, for example).
>
> UMS: 2D and 3D both work at expected speeds (XAA is a bit faster than
> the default EXA), but 3D often completely locks up the computer - can't
> even SSH to it.

Let me jump in here and say that it is worth learning to use the watchdog timer
feature, it gives you a clean shutdown if there is even a glimmer of life left
in the kernel. Even when the usual sysreq magic doesn't work. I have a program I
can put on a site somewhere, but it's so simple you can probably write it as
fast as a download, a few lines does the job.

Works for me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>