Re: A "sound" observation

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> At this moment pulseaudio seems more of a PITA than anything and kind of
>> crazy that a desktop environment would tie itself to it.
>>

> We also default to PulseAudio in KDE, this is not just a GNOME thing,
> PulseAudio is the default in Fedora in general.
>
> Your problems seem to be due to proprietary software (VMware) not supporting
> PulseAudio properly. They're probably doing strange things to the ALSA API.
> This is not a Fedora problem.

First of all....  I don't know why you use "we".   I don't think you
speak for the "Fedora Project".  (OK, I'm very sure you don't speak for
the Fedora Project)  I discount most of what you say.

Second, I know that within the Fedora KDE release pulseaudio is
installed by default.  But, unlike GNOME one can easily dispense with
pulseaudio with KDE installed from the start.

Third, sound worked just fine on my VM's prior to an update.  Others
have had their issues with pulse audio even without VMware.   IMHO,
pulseaudio is a work in progress.

Last, but not least, these are my observations.  I don't/didn't suggest
it was any particular entities problem.  Yet, I have come to the
conclusion that life without pulseaudio is my preferred path.  And,
since GNOME seems (unless I can keep it from pulling in PA) to have
requirements for pulseaudio life is better off without GNOME.

Again, these are my observations and my conclusions.  As time goes on, I
will revisit them.

--
Yow!