Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> And what you are saying is that someone can't get support for the video
> card in his/her brand spanking new computer that they just bought at the
> computer store....assuming it has the latest and greatest video card
> from whatever manufacturer.  Weird.

"whatever manufacturer except Intel" whose desktop/laptop class GMA chips
(i.e. all except the GMA 500 / Poulsbo) all just work, even the current
latest one.

But other than that, yes, we're saying that and it's not weird at all, it's
just how things are. Drivers don't magically appear instantly.

> When I bought my laptop, I didn't worry about video.

And that was your mistake.

> It was all supposed to "just work".

If you expect that, you need to check what hardware you're buying.

> The good news is that now GoogleEarth runs with the stock radeon driver,
> but I can't tell you exactly when that happened because there was no big
> fanfare about it when it happened.

Assuming it's an r5xx series card (it can't be r6xx or higher because you
said the Catalyst driver doesn't support it anymore), Fedora 9 updates /
Fedora 10. It was added in this update:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2008-July/011954.html
which says "adds r500 support" spelled out black on white in the update
notes.

If it's an r3xx or r4xx, even earlier. Please tell us the exact model ID.

        Kevin Kofler