Re: help with... F9

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 02:55:17 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> As far as updates:  If an app or  utility or library works just fine, no
>  problems--they usually do from the initial install--why be concerned over
>  the latest update?  But I see it all the time.   It must be some kind of
>  complusive-obsessive disorder variant.   I have a friend, a retired career
>  computer admin, programmer, you name it, who has this disorder.  It is
>  impossible for him not to constantly keep his system fully updated even if
>  what is being updated is rarely if ever needed or even used.

I would call this "the geek disorder"... In a geek-encouraging bleeding edge
distro like Fedora, I expect most of the people to behave like this. Myself
included. :-)

Also, frequent updating occasionally provides not just bugfixes, but also
enhanced functionality of certain components. Which comes as a nice surprise,
especially if it was something you were missing so badly... It's a nice
feeling when you see improvement in a working system (as opposed to installing
a later version of the whole distro). Basically, we're having a great time
updating software to latest&greatest! That's why we run Fedora! ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko