Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:20:38 +0000,
  Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2010 22:58:13 Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > And look what just came out today:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk0Ng
>
> OH, WOW! :-D
>
> I was just about to opt-out of the discussion because it is getting more and
> more philosophical, but *this* text... This text is *way* too good to be
> skipped!
>
> Did you actually read it through? Let me sum up the highlights (quoting,
> skipping irrelevant details and putting some of my own comments in square
> brackets --- sorry, couldn't resist... ;-) ):

Yes. You said they weren't providing documentation. Here is an article
showing them providing part of that documentation. There was also the link to
their previous release of documentation of the shader language of the r800
series.

I don't care if ATI doesn't supply a complete driver. Documentation of how
to do things is what is needed to update the existing community open source
driver. It isn't like a driver needs to be written from scratch. It shouldn't
be too long before r800s are usuable where performance isn't critical.