Re: help with... F9

--- On Mon, 2/1/10, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 13:24 -0800,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I usually, at least for the past 4 or 5 years or so,
> only upgrade
> > every 3rd release as this seems to offer an optimum
> balance among
> > security, stability, support and features with minimum
> upgrading.
>
> Do as you see fit of course, but be aware that "n-2"
> releases get no
> updates via the repos, including security fixes.

I think some people are overly paranoid about security.  If I were running servers exposed to tens of tens of thousands of hits per hour, security would be a high priority.  But I'm not.  I've just got a little ol' single user desktop here behind a two basic firewalls, and a couple other "tricks" that I'm keeping to myself.  It's a reasonably secure setup.  Secure enough to have kept me infection/hacked free through 6 systems and a dozen distros for 10 years.  It's not 100% hack proof, but then nothing is.

As far as updates:  If an app or  utility or library works just fine, no problems--they usually do from the initial install--why be concerned over the latest update?  But I see it all the time.   It must be some kind of complusive-obsessive disorder variant.   I have a friend, a retired career computer admin, programmer, you name it, who has this disorder.  It is impossible for him not to constantly keep his system fully updated even if what is being updated is rarely if ever needed or even used.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.  I'm am well aware of Fedora's support policies.  I've been around since FC3.  They are of little concern to me.  I've run versions of Fedora almost a year after support stopped before upgrading, and experienced no ill effects.  Can you believe it?!  And, no, I'm not lucky.  There was just so little to be concerned with.