Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Hi Marko,

On Monday 01 February 2010 06:23 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 31 January 2010 20:30:36 Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I think the current suggestion is to buy Intel or ATI hardware and use
>> the open source drivers
> When we speak of 3D, ATI just doesn't have decent open source drivers,
> regardless of available specs (radeon(hd) works only on older cards, if you
> are lucky), while Intel's 3D hardly deserves to be called "accelerated". So I
> don't see the point of encouraging ATI and Intel, since if you want serious
> 3D, only nVidia provides (at least closed source) drivers that actually work.
>
> Intel 3D and obsolete ATI 3D using radeon driver are not considered "serious
> 3D", at least from my perspective. Encouraging that would be like encouraging
> the use of Pentium 3 over Quad Core just because it is known to work.

I believe you have been misinformed on this one. I have a HD4870 (rv770)
and have successfully played nexuiz with the experimental dri driver
package with the F12 games spin. I however still use F11 as I need my
daily fix of quakelive ;). Although quakelive plays on F12 but its a bit
too buggy for my taste.

I need to figure out a scheme with Live USBs to keep track of the
improvements in 3D support for my card with OS drivers the moment I find
some time. I have high hopes that they will be very stable before F13
release. At the start of last year, I was unable to boot to runlevel 5
with the OS drivers, by the year end I could play 3D games with decent
performance ( ~100fps @ 1680x1050! ). I would consider this a giant
leap, wouldn't you agree?

--
Suvayu