Re: Using a USB external enclosure with a PATA hard drive ?

Jim wrote:

> tail -f /var/log/messages ;
>
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 6 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device found,
> idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b157
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=10, Product=11,
> SerialNumber=3
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Product: DMI USB2.0 Storage
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Manufacturer: DMI
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: SerialNumber: 2009102609E0
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> localhost kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
> and address 4
> localhost kernel: scsi 10:0:0:0:
> Direct-Access                                    PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
> localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
> localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
> localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
> and address 4
> localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
> localhost kernel: EXT3-fs (sdc): unable to read superblock
>

> It is a ide drive with a ext3 fs on it.
> I tried to mount it.
>

> # mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc /mnt/harddrive
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
>         missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>         (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>         ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> # mount -t ext3 /dev/sgc /mnt/harddrive
> mount: special device /dev/sgc does not exist
>

> Also tried a fdisk /dev/sdc;
>
> # fdisk /dev/sdc
>
> Unable to read /dev/sdc

Have you used this enclosure and drive successfully in the past?  If
not, another thing to consider is power.

Years ago I recall having something similar.  The problem turned out to
be that the USB port wasn't supplying sufficient power to the enclosure
and the drive.  The enclosure had an option to power it externally.
Once I did that, all was well.

--
What's page one, a preemptive strike? -- Professor Freund,
Communication, Ramapo State College