Re: Blacklisting Nouveau

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:55:32 +1100,
  Roger <arelem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> Then maybe there should be a blacklist all 3d applications until you
> install 3d.
> and:
>
> Fedora is never going to get rid of the best Free as in Speech driver
>   available for that hardware.
> </snip>
>
> Woh! The above comments puzzle me.
>
> Please explain how Nouveau is the best. Read my comments below before responding!

Because the only other free driver is nv. And the consensus (at least for
Fedora) is that Nouveau has passed up nv and should be the default driver.

> Please explain why Blender 2.49 or 2.5 should be black listed.

Applications don't get blacklisted. In this context blacklisting referred
to keeping the kernel from loading the Nouveau driver that uses kernel mode
setting. Apparently if mode setting gets used it causes a problem with
trying to load the proprietary nVidia drivers later since they don't work
with kernel mode setting.

> No! the reason I suggested as much is because Nouveau causes so much
> unnecessary trouble for so many newcomers and converts to open source.

For the near future these people should probably be using a different
distribution. Though maybe smarter packaging by the rpm fusion people could
make using the proprietary nVidia drivers more newbie friendly.