Re: Blacklisting Nouveau

<snip>
Then maybe there should be a blacklist all 3d applications until you
install 3d.
and:

Fedora is never going to get rid of the best Free as in Speech driver
  available for that hardware.
</snip>

Woh! The above comments puzzle me.

Please explain how Nouveau is the best. Read my comments below before responding!

Please explain what you mean by "until you install 3D" - it makes no sense!

Please explain why Blender 2.49 or 2.5 should be black listed.

Please explain why Varicad  and other engineering design apps should be
black listed.

Please explain why we should have to use slow glunky poorly behaved
nouveau to drive Gimp.
Open Office, Inkscape and not obtain the smoothness to which we are
accustomed.

Please explain about Nouveau dying if several apps are open at a time.

May I suggest you visit the Blender.org site and research the hundreds,
if not thousands of ways 3D is used and required.
As 3D is a requirement for serious and conceptual archeitectural,
engineering, scientific, marine and landscape design, Ot University and
others use 3D for graphics as do many many commercial advertising
companies. Please explain why these should be disregarded due to
difficult installation requirements.

We are succeeding in getting more users over to Linux and Open Source
than ever before.
Please explain the above which comment suggests that we should forgo
these because one Open Source application is not up to scratch.
That is unacceptable.

No! the reason I suggested as much is because Nouveau causes so much
unnecessary trouble for so many newcomers and converts to open source.

No discussion was made about likes or dislikes regarding proprietary
software and none will be entered into herein.

I am a staunch Open Source and Free  software advocate and user
since1997 however I cannot consistently use even my most basic
requirementss. Open Office, Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape. makehuman, blender,
etc.

For me Nouveau eliminated my trials of Fedora 12, it killed an otherwise
almost working installation.

Nouveau will eventually be the driver of choice and I for one will
embrace it when it is capable.

Roger