Re: Using a USB external enclosure with a PATA hard drive ?

On 02/01/2010 11:58 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Jim<mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> FC 12-x86_64/kde
>>
>> I have a Acomdata external hard drive enclosure with a PATA hard drive
>> set to Master.
>> I want to just be able to read and write to it as a storage drive, lsusb
>> sees the enclosure Acomdata but not the drive, what do I have to do to
>> read/write to the hard drive ??
>>
> Others may have better advice, but you can try unplugging the drive
> then as root do "tail -f /var/log/messages" and plug the drive back
> in. It may give you some hints as to what's going on.
>
> Richard

Thanks Richard.

tail -f /var/log/messages ;

localhost kernel: usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 6 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device found,
idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b157
localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=10, Product=11,
SerialNumber=3
localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Product: DMI USB2.0 Storage
localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Manufacturer: DMI
localhost kernel: usb 2-3: SerialNumber: 2009102609E0
localhost kernel: usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
localhost kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 4
localhost kernel: scsi 10:0:0:0:
Direct-Access                                    PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 4
localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
localhost kernel: EXT3-fs (sdc): unable to read superblock

It is a ide drive with a ext3 fs on it.
I tried to mount it.

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc /mnt/harddrive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
        dmesg | tail  or so

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sgc /mnt/harddrive
mount: special device /dev/sgc does not exist

Also tried a fdisk /dev/sdc;

# fdisk /dev/sdc

Unable to read /dev/sdc