Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Monday 01 February 2010, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>On Sunday 31 January 2010 20:47:11 Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:01:45 +0000,
>> nVidia's stance is that they neither help nor hinder the Nouveau project.
>>  That could certainly be worse. They could be trying to actively prevent
>>  that effort.
>
>AFAIK, nVidia is locked up in closed source licences and non-disclosure
>agreements, and that is the only reason why they don't provide specs and
> open source drivers. It appears nVidia has good will, but legal issues are
> a showstopper.
>
>And the fact that they provide support next to none (of their closed source
>drivers) demonstrates that they *do* care about Linux market, and do take
> the community support seriously. It would be foolish to alienate them
> and/or look down on them, given all this. It appears they are doing the
> best they can, given the legal rules of the game.
>
>Best, :-)
>Marko

Has anyone bothered to compare the lifetime of the nvidia offerings?  I have
had several, and they have all failed, one so badly it took the bus drivers
on the motherboard with it.  I switched to ati designs when I replaced them,
and they are all, knock on wood, working.  Working well enough that they are
usable when running emc, but then whats important there isn't the cards gfx
performance, but how well it co-exists with the realtime needs of emc/rtai.

IMO, ati is clearly the winner, the radeon driver has grown to quite decent
performance if one doesn't need 3d.  To me, that is eye candy that detracts
from the real job, that of presenting information to the user speedily and
accurately.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Can you buy friendship?  You not only can, you must.  It's the
only way to obtain friends.  Everything worthwhile has a price.
		-- Robert J. Ringer