Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:01:45 +0000,
  Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As for 3D and closed source drivers... If you buy a nVidia card, you can use
> their closed source drivers, and they basically Just Work. If you buy an ATI
> card, you can use... oops, sorry... you *cannot* use their closed source
> drivers, because they do not support your version of X. Or you can opt for
> open source radeon driver... oops, sorry... you *cannot* opt for radeon(hd)
> driver because ATI did *not* disclose the specs for their HD family of cards.
>
> <sarcasm>
> And as you know, ATI is very open-source-friendly, unlike those nVidia guys...
> </sarcasm>

nVidia's stance is that they neither help nor hinder the Nouveau project. That
could certainly be worse. They could be trying to actively prevent that
effort.

ATI provides documentation for their cards. That is better than having them
write their own open source drivers. They did provide specs for their
HD family cards. My memory is that there are some features that aren't
documented related to DRM on multimedia. (Doing that may risk them getting in
trouble with the MPAA and related trade groups.) I am also not sure of whether
all of the r800 (evergreen) documentation is out yet. But I believe that
the documentation for chips through the r700 series is available.

> So when it comes to 3D support for Linux and Fedora, some talk the talk, some
> walk the walk. Decide for yourself who is more useful to you.

And different people disagree on the way to measure walking the walk and come
to different conclusions about which companies are doing this and which aren't.