Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Since you don't mind using closed-source drivers... :-) If the graphics
>> card in your machine is not integrated (ie. is replaceable), my advice is
>> to go buy an nVidia card. They at least provide nonzero support for
>> contemporary Linux. And if it is integrated, next time you go buy a
>> motherboard/laptop --- do choose carefully... ;-)
>
> Recommending proprietary drivers in general and NVidia in particular is a
> very bad idea, they'll come to bite you in the ass sooner or later, and with
> NVidia there's no alternative with OpenGL support. (Nouveau reportedly works
> great for 2D these days though.)

I'm not sure where you're going with this one, are you suggesting just using the
vesa drivers, or throwing out all the laptops which worked with F11 and starting
over? And if the latter, where is the form to apply for funding to cover the
cost. I have not gotten the F12 ATI drivers to work with any ATI laptop, zero
for four, Intel based, AMD based, X doesn't work.

I don't need or want 3D anything, just a working display which doesn't crash.
Note that 2.6.33-rc[56] seem somewhat better, although some adventures in
cmdline options are needed to get there (not the same on each laptop). I'm 1/3
on servers, and 0/3 on VM. I'm told my aborts are being worked on, which is nice
but not helpful.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>