Re: which version of fedora to install

On Sunday 31 January 2010 13:20:55 Prabhakar Pandey wrote:
> i used fedora 8  but later some of you told that fedora 8 is not that good
> and i should try f12 or f11 .
> so can anybody tell me which one should i install f11 or f12 ??
> and it would be nice if u tell me how to install various media players and
> all in it coz i find pretty difficult installing them !!

If you don't want to get into "not supported" situation when F13 comes out (in
May), then I suggest to install F12. I use F12 at home and F11 at work, and
can say F12 appears overall more stable and mature. This is basically typical
for Fedora, every new release tends to be better then the previous. However,
there are corner cases which might bite you if you are unlucky. ;-)

As for media players, once you have installed F12, configure yum to use
rpmfusion repository (see  http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/  for
instructions, use both free and nonfree). After that, you can open a terminal,
log in as root (type "su -" and root password when prompted) and install all
players of your choice using the command

yum install putplayernamehere

The most popular video/movie players are vlc (if you prefer the GUI) and
mplayer (if you prefer the terminal).

For audio there is a whole bunch of players, from xmms to amarok. Feel free to
use google to find them all, and choose the one you prefer.

For other media, well, name the type of your media and we'll name a player you
can use. ;-)

And if something doesn't play/work, ask here and we'll try to help you out.

HTH, :-)
Marko