Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:27:04 -0700
Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> Nouveau only supports 2D, and the OpenSource Radeon driver has had at
> least as many ...ummm issues as the proprietary driver.

Hell, I wish there was a stable working radeon driver that only
supported 2D so I could get reliable 2D with the default driver.
At home, radeon works OK (I guess I have one of the cards where
the driver happens to work), but at work, radeon crashes about
six times a day on a good day. I finally got a system that can
stay up and run usable 2D by switching to radeonhd, turning on
nomodeset, and disabling lots of stuff like dri and using the
shadowfb acceleration mode. After doing that my work system
has stayed up for about 3 days now, so it seems much better.