Re: Serial port (/dev/ttySX) question.

On Saturday 30 January 2010, Les wrote:
>On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 23:19 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> rs-232 tech is getting old, like me.
>>
>> Do we have a tool that can display graphically in near real time, the
>> status of the commonly used wires/signals in the '7 wire' protocol?
>>
>> I need something that works a bit like the old db25 tester with a bunch
>> of LED's to tally the line states like that gismo Radio Shack sold 20
>> years ago. Those blinking leds were a very good troubleshooting tool, and
>> I'm having flow control problems that look like a system freeze on one
>> end or the other, but when rz times out, I still get a prompt from the
>> shell on the other end, but nothing I type here arrives there, like
>> hardware flow is still in effect and turned off on one end or the other.
>>
>> Thanks All for any hints.
>
>It sounds like what  you want is a "breakout box".  Here is a link to
>one:
>http://www.topmicrousa.com/break-1.html

I finally found one of mine, only about a foot down in the Midden Heap my
pool table has become, and it confirms that the other end is not using any
sort of hardware flow control regardless of the options to do that being set
in the device descriptor. xon/xoff appear to work, but for some unk reason,
the flow rate achieved overall at 19,200 baud, is about 50 baud due to
repeats.  If you don't disconnect on rzsz, it will get the file moved,
eventually, with very very heavy emphasis on the eventually. :(

So now I have about 25 pages of assembly code to wander thru, and its
comments aren't always that verbose, so those rarely used codes I have to
look up in the moto programmers manual.  This should be fun, not!

Q?  This code uses the 'sleep(1)' call to time its repeat scans.  It is using
no cpu as its the bottom item on an htop sorted by use report.

I assume I can go into the tarball and change those 2 sleep calls to
sleep(0.05) to get 20 scans a second?  I'm going to try it anyway & see if it
will still build.

Thanks Les.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

To be who one is, is not to be someone else.