Re: Between F11 and F12, which would you choose?

reg@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a half dozen machines updated to F11, and one to F12.
> Im wondering if I should update the F11s to F12 or leave well enough alone.
>
> I realize that the F11 distribution has reached a 'stable' status, and
> the F12 distribution will probably take a couple more months to reach
> that status, but would be interested in hearing what other users have
> to say about the pair.

A belated comment, F12 is worse than I thought it was. I have put it on six
machines, reinstalled F11 on three, run two using the vesa video, and one works
for the moment, although I have regular backups of it, and a set of F11 install
and upgrade material stored in the same room.

Unless there is some major reason for F12, skip it, all the problems I have had
were with display, keyboard, touchpad, or GNOME bits. Just one frustrating user
interface thing after another. As a server it works fine, boot into runlevel
three, run all my X apps from a remote display and it works fine. The only
laptop which is useful run 2.6.33-rc5 plus a few patches, which I built myself.
Not the optimal way to go.

Good luck with whatever you install.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>