Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:02:46 -0600
> Dale Dellutri wrote:
>
>> Note that I worked around my bug by adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot
>> line.
>
> Nope. If I turn off modesetting, it has even bigger problems. I seem
> to recall I couldn't even get X to start the last time I tried it.
> The default setting seem to work better than any others, but
> the default now crashes 5 or 6 times during the day (was only
> about once a week before updates).
>
> What I really would like is to be able to convince the vesa
> driver to do 1920x1200 resolution, and just use a nice stable
> non-accelerated non-3d driver until the fancy drivers catch
> up, but I don't think anyone is interested in developing drivers
> that are stable, but can't make windows shake like jello :-).

Agree totally, the Radeon support sucks on every machine I have, and even the
ones which work are slower than the vesa driver. The vesa driver seems usefully
fast, will do video even on an old Celeron.

nomodeset video=vesafb

I don't know what the upper limit of vesa is, but it's higher than 1366x768, I'm
running my monitor there and at least one more step up was available. Since I
want to be able to read the screen on a 32in monitor, I stopped where I am, and
it runs fine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>