KDE apps and freetype-freeworld's bytecode interpreter

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could confirm (or possibly solve) a problem
I've been experiencing with F12 KDE, freshly installed and now fully
updated.

I installed freetype-freeworld and then added the MS core fonts, setting
Arial and Courier New as the defaults in System Settings.

Also in System Settings, I changed the "Use anti-aliasing" setting from
"System Settings" to "Enabled", and then configured the hinting style to
"Full", checked sub-pixel rendering and set the anti-aliasing exclusion
range at between 8.0 and 15.0 pts (NB, KDE's system fonts range in size
between 8 and 10 pts).

The curious thing is, in the case of Gtk applications such as the GIMP,
Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey and GNOME MPlayer, the fully-hinted MS
fonts are displayed correctly, in all their sharp, bytecode-interpreted
grandeur whereas in KDE applications the same fonts just look ragged,
much as if the BCI had been left uncompiled.

Interestingly, there seems to be an exception on the KDE side: K3B,
which displays MS core fonts correctly.

I should point out that where anti-aliasing is turned on but the
"excluded range" setting is left unchecked, in both Gtk and KDE
applications the MS fonts are anti-aliased, so the issue appears to be
with KDE rather than freetype-freeworld.

Best wishes,

Vassili