Re: NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>
>> My first message:
>>
>> "I have an NVIDIA 9400GT card."
>>
>> Whether it's an Asus or an MSI, it's always a 9400GT card. Otherwise,
>> you wouldn't know what you're talking about.
>>
> There is *more* than one model of Asus 9400GT card.

Really. What are they?

> Besides, if someone
> is trying to help you and asks you to be more specific...they why can't
> you just answer the question?

Well, you see, I already opened the computer thrice for this problem.
Before i opened it for a fourth time, I would have liked to know the
reason why.

> Kind of make me want to stop trying to help...

You've been very helpful in the past Ed but, as I said, unless you see
a very precise solution, maybe it's time for you to take a little rest
away from this problem.

>>> lspci is now totally irrelevant....and even if it were it doesn't tell
>>> you "ASUS EN9400GT/DI/1G...."
>>>

>> What lspci told you is information entered in the card by Asustek.
>> EN9400GT, was in my first message, then I told you it was an Asus. The
>> info you now seem to consider relevant tells you nothing more, except
>> the card has 1GB RAM, cause some have 512 MB.
>>
> Doesn't matter...

I don't think so either. Once again, what are the other 9400GT models
that are so different?

>> I'm referring to the arrow on the plug facing this or that side of the
>> motherboard, never a word about a discrete sound card, and  you ask if
>> I have a discrete sound card?
>>
>> Besides lspci -v says:
>>
>> Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
>>       Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a022
>>
>> What would Giga-byte have to do in a discrete audio card?
>>

> From this information I cannot tell if the sound chip is integrated on
> the motherboard or on an discrete audio card.

Why would a discrete sound card have a reference to Gigabyte? Giga
doesn't make sound cards.

>>> Just because the spdif out plug has 4 pins does not mean all pins are
>>> used!  As a matter of fact, if the plugged hole is a "key hole" there
>>> *will* be 4 pins on the out plug!  That is the whole (pun intended) purpose.
>>>

>> The mobo has 4 male pins -- excuse the pleonasm -- for s/pdif out in a
>> little casing. The plug has 4 female holes, one of which is
>> obstructed. How do you get the plug in if you don't open the plugged
>> hole: a pin will be facing the plugged hole.
>>
> Humm...could explain why I have no children...

Yup! I believe you've been looking too much for the key hole :)