Re: Browsing SMB network????

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:54:07AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > On my F12 system, on the PLACES menu, the NETWORK item, does not browse
> > SMB shares on the network, at least not for me, using my eeepc with F12.
> >
> Are you saying that the NETWORK item does not have a "Windows Network" icon?

Right.

> Do you have the gvfs-smb package installed?

No, but I do now. Thanks, Ed!

I further notice that the behavior is somewhat different depending on
whether I"m using wireless or wired network. via wired, i have no trouble
connecting to windows shares, but wireless it's a bit more stubborn. I
think I need to go review wireless router settings, perhaps it has applied
someo restrictions on wirless access to network shares.

Thanks again, Ed!

Fred

> > further, the "connect to server" item explicitly does not list "windows share"
> > as one of the options.
> >

> > however on several Centos or RHEL systems I use, both at home and at
> > work, both of those choices include SMB/windows shares.
> >
> > have I got a configuration issue on my fedora system, or have those
> > options been removed, for some reason?
> >
> > Clues appreciated.
> >
> > Thanx!
> >

> --
> A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do
> nothing but together can decide that nothing can be done. -- Fred Allen
>

> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.