Re: [MOSTLY SOLVED] Re: Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 02:28:43 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I spotted a different reference to settings once a user has logged in.
> Maybe I am asking too much, but I'd like to try to find a way to slip
> the xrandr command in after X has started and before the GUI login
> splash screen happens so that, hopefully, things will be 1680x1050 at
> that point and I won't have do it on a per user basis (quick reading of
> Marko's post made it appear that way, I'd be happy to be corrected).

Well, as far as I can see, the likely candidate where you can put xrandr early
on is /etc/X11/prefdm --- try putting the xrandr line just after the plymouth
line. Use the full path (/usr/bin/xrandr) just in case.

I don't guarantee that this will work, never tried it. Also, if this borks
your system, kills X, blows up your monitor, or whatever --- I am not to be
held responsible. :-)

Btw, the prefdm file might get overwritten by an update, so be aware of that as
well.

All in all, this is an ugly hack, YMMV. That said, I don't see any better
place to put xrandr in order to achieve what you want (if it even works
there).

HTH, :-)
Marko