Re: [MOSTLY SOLVED] Re: Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 00:20:52 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> I tried out a couple of combinations and know that
>> 1) the xrandr command does work
>>

> Good. :-)
>

>> 2) switching video to DVI-I-0 shows the same "kvm lack-of-focus" problem
>> which xrandr fixed
>>

> That's expected, the two outputs should be treated equivalently by the system.
> If a problem appears on one, it is natural to assume it will appear on the
> other as well. But it was a good idea to check, just to be sure.
>

>> 3) after scanning web and etc/rc.d files, it seemed to me that I should
>> have been able to put this xrandr command in rc.local and have it occur
>> when the boot is finished ---  did not work (but, since I have to have
>> the kvm pointed elsewhere to test, not certain if my test is valid)
>>

> Not sure, but I think that rc.local is executed before X is up. In that sense
> I'm not surprised that it doesn't work from rc.local.

That answers that, thanks. I figure there must be someplace to put it
right before the login splash screen comes up, but I haven't been able
to find that info.

> Anyway, I suggest that you put the xrandr command in a shell script, and
> execute it using the Autostart feature of your DE (I know how to set it up in
> KDE, somebody else should know about Gnome, XFCE and others). Basically,
> create a file named "fixmymonitor.sh", put it in your ~/bin directory (create it
> if you don't have one), make it executable (chmod a+x fixmymonitor.sh), and put
> the following inside (use a text editor):
>
> #! /bin/bash
> xrandr ... (fill this line with the actual command that works for you)
> exit
>
> After you have created it, have your DE execute it automatically upon login.
> That is what I do basically (although for a different reason).
>
> Someone else may have a better suggestion where to have the script executed
> (During GDM initialization? Somewhere in X? Elsewhere?).
>
> If all else fails, you can always put the script in your favorite launcher or
> as an icon on the desktop, and click on it manually after you log in. :-) But
> I would recommend the autostart functionality of a DE, it is known to work.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

I've already created the bash script that is in Desktop so I can just
click it. If anyone has a Gnome suggestion for your KDE solution, I'd
gladly try it.

Really appreciate the initial help and the follow-up,
Paul