Re: installing to external disk: esata now!

2010/1/1 Don Quixote de la Mancha <quixote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> If you intend to make an initrd that anyone can use, you'll need to
> build modules from all of the available SATA drivers and include them.

Further to this, check your PCI bus for the SATA controller:

$ lspci |grep -i sata
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH)
6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)

This might help you work out what driver to include or look for, i.e.
mine is an AHCI controller so it will most likely use the ahci driver.
On my F12 system the "ahci" SATA driver is not loaded as a module,
therefore it is probably built into the kernel.

Indeed, the following seems to confirms that:
$ cat /boot/config* |grep AHCI
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y

If your machine is new, them most likely it will use the AHCI driver,
however check that the controller is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

Anyway, Don is correct - for all intents and purposes, eSATA is just
the same as a drive plugged directly onto the main board. It's not
like USB at all, where you need SCSI storage emulation.

If your CentOS box can detect and mount the drive as whilst booted to
the USB system, then check lsmod for a driver, run dmesg to see what
it detected (if you hot plug it - which may not work on an old
kernel), etc.

-c