Re: Recover Root Password on FC 11 and Missing GRUB Screen

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 09:34:05 -0800,
  Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 15:14 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Except if you live in USA, where it is illegal to use strong
> > encryption algorithms (or so I hear)...
>
> Fortunately no longer true, now that businesses want their customers to
> use the web to buy things, ie. since about 10 years ago.

Yes and no. A compromise was reached on export restrictions to deflect a lot
of the push back, but strong encryption is still subject to review. This
gives the government control over what goes into commercial products.
I would expect that reasonably strong end to end encryption could be added
to cell phones for little incremental increase in cost for each phone (not
including the cost of the software development). I don't expect to see this
on normal cell phones any time soon as law enforcement isn't going to want
that. Some of the open source phones might start doing this and it will be
interesting to see what the reaction is.