Re: Remote Editing

On 1/11/10, Dave Cross <davorg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I often need to edit files on a remote system. I like to do this by
> setting up an SSH bookmark in the GNOME 'Places' menu (Places ->
> Connect to Server). This gives me a Nautilus window on the remote
> server from which I can open the required files in a local editor.
>
> This used to work with both Emacs and Gedit. I'm not sure when things
> changed, but it no longer works with Emacs.

I know that this is not exactly what you're after, but still... If you
want to edit files with Emacs via an ssh connection, have a look at
TRAMP. From the intro to the manual:

"After the installation of TRAMP into your GNU Emacs, you will be able
to access files on remote machines as though they were local.  Access
to the remote file system for editing files, version control, and
`dired' are transparently enabled."

HTH,
Andras