Re: is suspend broken?

On 01/08/2010 06:34 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
>> I'm running Fedora 11 on an x86_64 Core 2 Quad Xeon and a Supermicro
>> X7DWA-N motherboard.  I previously ran Fedora 10.
>>
>> Suspend mostly works for me, but when I wake back up, I can't make the
>> network work.
>
> I should mention that with the amount of RAM installed in my machine -
> 16 GB - suspend isn't really all that useful because of the amount of
> time it takes to write the contents of memory to disk when suspending,
> and to read it back in when waking up.  It takes just about as long as
> it would to just do a shutdown and reboot.

That would be "hibernate" or "suspend to disk".  I was talking about
"suspend to RAM".  The whole point of "suspend to RAM" is that not much
needs to be written to disk during suspend, and not much needs to be
done upon resume to continue.  Its supposed to be fast already,
certainly faster than shutting down and rebooting.

> The one situation I'd want to use shutdown instead is if I had a bunch
> of windows open that I don't want to lose, and I need to leave the
> machine for such a long time that I don't want to use all the
> electricity.

There is a newer "suspend to both" which is designed to "suspend to RAM"
but also sets up "suspend to disk" just in case the machine is off long
enough to exhaust the battery and loses the RAM, in which case it can be
recovered from disk.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx