FC12 -- video resolution problems

I just did a FC12 install on my notebook, blowing away my Centos 5.3 install. Big step up.

This is on a HP nc2400 that has the Intel 945M video. It comes up with only 800x600 resolution.

So I installed system-config-display and configured the monitor manually to be LCD 1280x1024, but selected only 1024x768.

I logged out and logged in, and I came up in 1024x768 video. I then pressed <FN-f4> to switch to my external LCD monitor, and things went a bit screwy. I should point out that my monitor is on a Belkin KVM. But this has always worked in Centos.

My situation right now is that the system is running both internal and external, and pressing <FN-f4> is not getting it to roll through internal, both, external, internal, etc. as it 'use to'.

If I power up with the external disconnected, I come up in 1024x768 and then if I plug the external in, it is not sized properly, like it is only 800x600 and thus you only see the center of the screen and only the background, not the running tasks.

If I boot up with the external plugged in, the video is 800x600 for both internal and external, and I cannot roll through the modes.

So what is going on here and how can I get things working reasonablly???