Re: Installation plays hardball

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 12:28 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 12/31/2009 11:47 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Somewhat OT: IMHO one thing that makes installing Fedora harder than it
> > needs to be for the majority of users is the default use of LVM. I've
> > been using Fedora since before it was Fedora, and have *never* had a
> > situation in which LVM was any use to me. I understand the benefits it
> > brings to large installations with complex and varying storage
> > requirements, but that's not the case for most people and having to deal
> > with its highly domain-specific terminology turns it into a mental
> > obstacle that would be better avoided.
>
> I think what must be remembered here is that, while most of us Fedora
> users generally work in a desktop environment (with GUIs and the lot)
> and have little or no use for LVM, at some point Fedora "X" will become
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux "X".
>
> A large number of RHEL sites _will_ make use of LVM (indeed, may even
> require LVM).  We are, remember, the experimental lab rats for the
> eventual RHEL releases, so LVM must be tested as thoroughly as the rest
> of the system.

I for one am not testing LVM since I don't use it. I fact I go out of my
way to remove it so I can have a system I understand. Those who don't
have the skills to remove it aren't testing it in any meaningful sense
either. That would seem to leave a fairly small subset of users, all of
whom could certainly install it it they needed it and really would be
testers in the proper sense of the word.

poc