Re: Very BAD preupgrade experience.

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 23:43 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Just had a bad experience with preupgrade.
> Had a phenom II x64 machine that had Fedora 11 freshly installed with
> default settengs a few weeks before 12 came out. Finally decided to try the
> upgrade to see how it would work, but could have done a clean install if it
> didn't work.
>
> Preupgraded started find downloading files, but eventually came up with a
> message that it needed more space on /boot. Removed all but latest kernel,
> and memtest and eventually needed to remove the splash graphic to get it to
> work, but fianllly got enough space. So the preupgrade to finish the process
> to reboot. Then when it rebooted, there was a message that it needed more
> space, but there was nothing on the /boot to be removed. I was able to boot
> back to the Fedora 11 kernel, and then tried a last resort option. Took the
> initrd in the upgrade directory, and first gunziped it, and then used lzma on it.
> The resuld was about 500M smaller size, and then was able to reboot. This
> then alllowed the preupgrade boot to work, and the system has now
> upgraded.
>
> It would have been nicer to get a message to either no do a preupgrade, or
> to have a way to resize the systems. Would have tired partimage, but it
> doesn't resize lvm, so that would be another problem.

Michael,

It's too late now, but Michael Chronenworth posted a much simpler
solution to preupgrade's /boot space problem. He moved install.img
from /boot to a thumb drive. When anaconda doesn't find it in /boot, it
asks for its location. Point anaconda to the thumb drive and the upgrade
will proceed without a hitch.

If the partitioning default for fresh installs would increase /boot from
200MB to 300MB in future releases, this problem would gradually
disappear.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL