Re: Hard Drive upgrade with Fedora 12 installed

On 12/29/2009 11:09 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
William M. Quarles wrote:

The XP and the PC DOS I can handle, but I am unsure of how to transition
the Fedora 12 installation due to the fact that I know next to nothing
about SELinux, how it affects /etc/fstab since Fedora started enabling
SELinux by default years ago, nor how to copy/rebuild the /dev and /proc
trees on the new hard drive. Any help you can give me would seriously be
appreciated.

SELinux: just disable it before the operation, get your system working
on the new drive and then think about reenabling it.

/proc: there is nothing to rebuild, the files are all virtual.

Yeah, I realized that later.

/dev: nothing special to rebuild, all automatic

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn...

Your real issues are:

- when you copy the data (better if using a rescue disk) to the new
partitions you will have different partition name and maybe different
filesystem UUID; this will affect /etc/fstab and grub.conf

- grub has to be installed on the new drive and its config modified

- the booting process is also dependent on your initrd in /boot

Did you search for some detailed tutorial on how to do this?
I guess this process has been described many times in the past.

Yeah, actually I did do a search, and couldn't find anything worth using regarding Fedora. Perhaps I should have searched "Linux" instead of "Fedora," but oh well/

It is not a difficult operation: you just copy all the files and
then repair the boot process. As always, the devil is in the details.

How do I determine the filesystem UUIDs? That's always been a mystery to me.