Re: slow boot for latest fedora kernel 2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 00:32 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
> Upgraded this evening and the system seemed broken but did start the
> boot process after about 2 minutes. All normal thereafter. It doesn't
> make any difference if I boot to level 3. After leaving the boot menu,
> the screen simply displays a single underline character and nothing
> happens at all for 2 min. Then things get underway at normal speed.
>
> Previous kernel is still installed and boots up quite normally.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone else getting the same behaviour? I use the nvidia
> drivers but they are up to date and in any case shouldn't be used for a
> level 3 boot.
> --
> N James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for tips.
Without "quiet" I still get no output at all for 2min 35sec, then normal
rush of messages. Bootchart (very nice!) shows that the boot process
itself is running normally, once it starts, about 45sec overall. The
initial wait isn't shown on the chart. Once running, everything seems to
be working. The entries in grub.conf are identical, except for version
numbers.

So what causes the wait?
--
N James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>