Re: Request for Input on Creating Linux Courses...

On 26 Dec 2009 at 14:35, Jerry Feldman wrote:

Date sent:	Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:35:31 -0500
From:	Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Organization:	Boston Linux and Unix
To:	fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject:	Re: Request for Input on Creating Linux Courses...
Send reply to:	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> I taught a Linux course at Northeastern University for a couple of
> years. The classroom computers were Windows, but we used a partition
> manager and set the systems up for dual booting between Windows and
> Linux. Additionally, most of the participants had their own laptops.
> Some installed Linux either as a single or dual boot. The IT people were
> ok with the dual boot as long as other classes would be able to use the
> systems as before. One campus I had help from the IT guy, but the main
> campus I had to set up the dual boot with Windows as the default. One
> thing I did in the Linux class was to set up X over IP where I had
> students running Xeyes on  their laptop and having it display on their
> neighbors. This shows some of the power of the Linux/Unix X Windows
> system. You can also demonstrate X by running an X server on Windows ans
> running an X client through putty.  The students seemed to like this.
>
> And, of course, as mentioned on other posts, demonstrating the several
> office products, such as OpenOffice, and showing how OpenOffice will
> support much of the features of Office 2007.

I did some similar things. Many years ago, had a Linux machine in my office,
and set up the VNC server so I could have all 20 students connect to the
machine via VNC, and have there own X desktop. Speed was a little slow,
but having 20 users ruhning off one machine was interested. Later setup the
machines as dual boot in my lab, and then triple boot with 98/XP/Linux. Have
done this with Redhat 9, then Fedora Core 1 thru Fedora 12 at the moment.

I'm looking for some course material that has real working information rather
than read and point and click instructions of many of the  text books. Some
things I've looked at are too simple, and others are too complex.

Thanks for the message.

> On 12/11/2009 04:25 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Finally got the go ahead to create two Linux courses to our College program.
> > Have included Linux in my lab since Redhat 9 thru the current Fedora 12, but
> > have just been able to show students little bits of it from time to time, since
> > the program is geared to mostly windows and some courses using AS/400
> > mini system.
> >
> > The Ideal is to over a beginning Linux course, and an second level course as
> > a start. In the networking class, I have one 4 hour section where the students
> > go thru the installation of various Linux OS's,  and they can use the Fedora,
> > but many students still stay with windows.
> >
> > Was wondering if people on the list might have some knowledge of material
> > that would best meet the needs of a community college program.
> >
> > Last year I did work with 3 students on a Special project involving my G4L
> > disk imaging project, and it was interesting, but very focused.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Ideal is to have it ready
> > for Fall 2010.
> >

> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
> Boston Linux and Unix
> PGP key id: 537C5846
> PGP Key fingerprint: 3D1B 8377 A3C0 A5F2 ECBB  CA3B 4607 4319 537C 5846

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI    9,076,925.679267 | EINSTEIN 3,491,188.170851
ROSETTA 1,584,325.081247 | ABC          3,858.889286