Re: Wine (?) spoiling F12 boot

BeartoothThpd30 wrote:
	Follow-ups set to gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

 	On my #2 PC, I had finally given up on preupgrading. I
copied /home/btth onto an external hard drive; did a fresh install; copied
/home/btth back (and did "chown -R btth:btth" on it just in case); did a
lot of customizing; did a PackageKit update, which called for rebooting;
did the reboot. That failed.

 	Somewhere among all the above, I got disgusted with the
display, which turned out to be 800x600 -- despite being connected
directly (no KVM switch!) to the 1680x1050 monitor. The app I tried to
correct with turned out (later, on another machine) *not* to be
system-config-display, but something called "gnome-display-properties"; so
I edited 1680x1050 into xorg.conf.

Right about this point I cringe, I have had bad luck editing xorg.conf in recent Fedora. In general Fedora will like you better if you don't have xorg.conf, which may have been related to part of the problem. At the recommendation of a number of people I use system-config-hardware to be sure the display type is set right, the the Preferences->Display to set the resolution. Failing in this use system-config-display --xorg to create a new file, then edit that. Only needed to do that on one machine.

I make no claim to be an expert, I just have learned not to shoot myself in the foot.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>