Re: wireless problem.

On Saturday 26 December 2009 15:08:42 Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I also have wireless problems under F12.  In my case the problem has to do
> with network strength.  I have a laptop that dual boots Windows 7 and F12.
> Under Windows 7 I can see and connect to more wireless networks than I can
> under F12.  In all cases that I have tried if the signal is low or poor F12
> will never succeed in connecting, but W7 will.  I have tried both the
> internal wireless (Intel 3945) and an external Linksys USB adapter.  Even
>  if the signal is good F12 will not report available wireless connections.
>
> I normally run F12 so if there is anything I can tweek on F12 to improve
> accessibility I would like to know.

Do you read different signal strength for the *same* access point under Windows
as compared to Fedora? Or do you see more access points available under
Windows? Note, these are two different things.

One possibility is that Windows is accessing wireless channels 12 and 13 which
are disabled by default on Fedora, (these channels are illegal in US). Another
is that signal strength is reduced (strong signals are illegal in EU). What is
your location geographically?

You might want to read up on what is allowed/available for your region,

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

how to modify wireless behavior in Fedora,

  http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx/msg58444.html

and to understand what is going on in general:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx/msg58447.html

HTH, :-)
Marko