Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

On 12/22/2009 07:19 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
jackson byers wrote:

Rick,
My interpretation of what the OP is trying to do is different than yours:
He is trying to do a
"hard disk" install of f12, operating from his current fedora(f11?).

That is correct. (I am the OP.)

This "hard disk" install requires having an available partition
completely separate from his current fedora.
There is no notion, afaik, of
"install a new Fedora on top of an already running Fedora"
as you put it, whatever you might mean by "on top of".

This "hard disk" install does point to the f12 iso,
but it also requires extracting the vmlinuz, initrd.img, and install.img
from the iso, which i think requires doing the loopback mount.
The install.img is placed in a "images" directory.
There are strict requirements on where that images dir is to be placed;
I am not sure, but i think the OP did this part correctly.
Where he might be going wrong is how he interacts with Anaconda,
as I tried to explain in  my earlier reply

As I mentioned in a post above, this worked fine
when I moved the Fedora ISO and the images directory
to the top level on another partition.
I'm not sure what I did wrong before.

The installer wants you to specify the disk partition where the .iso
is, AND the full path to the directory.  So, if it's on your /home
directory (on partition /dev/sda5) and in your "/home/tim/images"
directory, then you'd tell the installer:

	/dev/sda5	(for the partition)
	/tim/images	(for the directory)
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -