RE: How many people need to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver ? (Or other non kms driver ?)

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 08:24 -0600, Dan Burkland wrote:
> > On 12/23/2009 03:21 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >
> > > Please reply if you need to ( ie must) use the proprietary nvidia driver
> > > instead of the nouveau driver.
> > >
> > > If you are using the proprietary nvidia driver or some other non kms
> > > equipped driver, how are you finding F12 ?  Ie do you experience
> > > freezing when you access some panel items ?
> >
> > Nouveau driver will cause X to freeze my system (HP s3707c w/ onboard
> > GeForce 9100), with rebooting being the only option. No problems at all
> > with the proprietary nvidia driver.

<edited to restore content in bottom posting style...>

> I have used the proprietary driver for its superb handling of 3D acceleration over nouveau. However, with the release of 2.6.33 near, I may give Nouveau as it now supports KMS (It may have in the past I'm not quite sure).
>
> Dan

I'm using the proprietary driver on F12 (from RPMFusion) with nouveau
blacklisted according to other posts. I also upgraded to the patched
version of xorg currently on Koji that fixes issues with the proprietary
driver and X.

Everything works much better than with the current nouveau driver. True
3D support is _far_ more important to me (and my kids who plat a lot of
opengl based games - Extreme Tux Racer for example) than having a
Plymouth/kms based bootup. I also need the accelerated graphics to fully
support accelerated graphics with VMware Workstation 7. The proprietary
nVidia drivers support this in Workstation. The nouveau drivers don't.

The graphical startup is certainly nice, but sacrificing hours of
performance issues and enduring the loss of useful and needed function
for a targetd 20 seconds "Plymouth prettiness" just doesn't cut it for
me. I'll live with 20 seconds of the little blue/white bootup lines
instead.

If and when nouveau provides the level of 3D performance and stability
found in the proprietary driver, I will consider making the switch...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw