Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

jackson byers wrote:

>> There's no actual restriction on just where the ISO image itself is, so
>> long as you can feed the full path to Anaconda by specifying the device
>> and directory on that device (see
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/s1-
begininstall-hd-x86.html
>> for details).
>
> Agreed, and that is the best reference

I was looking again at this reference,
and I really don't think it is very good,
or likely to be helpful to someone trying to boot from hard disk.

In the first place, I would have thought that almost anyone doing this
would want to (or need to) avoid CDs or DVDs altogether,
by abstracting vmlinuz, initrd.img and the images directory
from the ISO file,
and adding a stanza to grub.conf to boot from these.

There are no instructions for doing this, as far as I can see.
The implication seems to be that the user is running a Fedora CD or DVD,
and then wants to install from hard disk,
which seems bizarre to me.

If you can boot from CD or DVD, why not install that way?

Actually, the whole Installation Guide, while beautifully produced
and full of interesting information,
strikes me as more or less useless for anyone actually wanting
to install Fedora.
I get the impression the authors have never put themselves
in the position of a likely reader of the Guide,
who is almost certainly asking,
"I want to install Fedora. What should I do?"

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net