Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

On 12/22/2009 02:14 PM, jackson byers wrote:
jackson byers:
    There is no notion, afaik, of
    "install a new Fedora on top of an already running Fedora"
    as you put it, whatever you might mean by "on top of".

rick stevens:
That's what I was trying to get at.  He has to use a bootable image
(LiveCD, thumbdrive, something) that brings up Anaconda.  What I was
trying to get at was that one can't update F11 while still running F11.
The system being upgraded must be "quiescent".

yes, but afaik the OP is not trying to "upgrade" or "update" F11.
Rather he is using F11 and the F12 iso, (no LiveCD, no thumbdrive)
and following the "hard disk" install procedure for F12.
F11 is left entirely unchanged.
When complete he will still have his orig F11, and also
a brand new F12 in a separate partition.

I'll leave it here.  I've never tried to install the anaconda RPM and
invoke it from a running system to install a new version/distro on a
different disk or partition.  I've done parallel installations, but only
from bootable media...never from a live system.