Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

On 12/21/2009 12:20 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
2009/12/20 Timothy Murphy<gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx>:
I'm taking the liberty of re-posting this query,
as there seemed some problems with the previous posting,
hopefully now resolved:

Has anyone actually succeeded in booting Fedora-12
from the DVD ISO file on the hard disk,
by adding a stanza to grub.conf ?

I carried out the following commands:
-----------------------------
[tim@alfred ~]$ sudo mkdir /mnt/Fedora
[tim@alfred ~]$ sudo mount -o loop Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/Fedora/

So that means Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso is in /home/tim/

Now when I boot into this, all goes well
until I try to install from Fedora-12*.iso when I the error
"Device /dev/sda6 does not appear to contain
an installation image".

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't know for certain, but the only time I've ever tried this was
on RHEL and the ISO file had to be on the root of the partition. So I
think that means you should try moving it to
/home/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso on the assumption that /dev/sda6 is /home

I think I tuned in late here, but I'm not clear what you're trying to
do.  If I'm reading this correctly:

	1. You're running Fedora from hard disk
	2. You're then loopback mounting an ISO image of F12
	3. You're trying to install from that loopback mount

You can't install a new Fedora on top of an already running Fedora to my
knowledge.  The install from DVD or LiveCD are special instances and
Fedora is not running off the hard drive in those cases--it's running
in a RAM disk.

If you're trying to install via a network install (NFS or HTTP), then
the ISO image itself is what you point at, not a loopback mount of it.
The installer wants to see the ISO image itself, not the files in it.