Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:20:42 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm taking the liberty of re-posting this query, as there seemed some
> problems with the previous posting, hopefully now resolved:
>
> Has anyone actually succeeded in booting Fedora-12 from the DVD ISO file
> on the hard disk, by adding a stanza to grub.conf ?
>
> I carried out the following commands: -----------------------------
> [tim@alfred ~]$ sudo mkdir /mnt/Fedora [tim@alfred ~]$ sudo mount -o
> loop Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/Fedora/ [tim@alfred ~]$ ls
> /mnt/Fedora/isolinux/ boot.cat  boot.msg  grub.conf  initrd.img
> isolinux.bin isolinux.cfg  splash.jpg  TRANS.TBL  vesamenu.c32  vmlinuz
> [tim@alfred ~]$ ls /mnt/Fedora/images/ efiboot.img  efidisk.img
> install.img  pxeboot  README  TRANS.TBL [tim@alfred ~]$ mkdir images
> [tim@alfred ~]$ cp -a /mnt/Fedora/images/install.img images/ [tim@alfred
> ~]$ sudo mkdir /boot/Fedora-12 [tim@alfred ~]$ sudo cp -a
> /mnt/Fedora/isolinux/* /boot/Fedora-12/ -----------------------------
>
> This is the entry I have added to /etc/grub.conf :
> -----------------------------
> title Upgrade to Fedora-12
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /Fedora-12/vmlinuz ro
>         initrd /Fedora-12/initrd.img
> -----------------------------
>
> Now when I boot into this, all goes well until I try to install from
> Fedora-12*.iso when I the error "Device /dev/sda6 does not appear to
> contain an installation image".
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

One can only guess, but...

you put the images directory and Fedora12.iso in /home/tim ?
and /dev/sda6 is /home ?

Then when you boot you should specify both the drive and the path to the
images directory. Don't remember if you must specify /tim or just tim.
The point is you need to specify the path to the images directory, not
just the drive.