Re: Tar oddity...

2009/12/21 DB <Freddog_de@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Chris,

The original command was

tar cvzf F11_Home_Dave_20091217.tar.gz /home/Dave

and the "problem" is that tar tvh F11*gz lists all the files on the F11 desktop, but when the external HDD is transferred to the F12 laptop, tar tvh  (and ark) give the errors quoted...

Make sure that you are "safely removing" your drive before you unplug it.

Copy the file, run the "sync" command and then unmount. Make sure that it is definitely unmounted before you unplug it. It could be that you are removing it before it has *actually* synchronises the data.

I agree with the checksum suggestions below and I'm sure they will show a difference. If so, try the above. Copy, run sync, run checksum.

-c