Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 20:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [...]
>> >I thing borked is too pessimistic an analysis. There is a 4GB area on
>> >the pen drive that is not partitioned nor is it formatted in any way,
>> >according to fdisk. I wold just ignore the 4GB area and don;r worry
>> >about it.
>> >
>> Huh?  In that case, why not 'd'elete that 1st 4Gb partition and make a new
>> one 'n' that uses all the drive?  And the 't' to set it to type 83, then
>> write that table to it with a 'w', exit fdisk, and mke2fs /dev/sdX1, where X
>> is the same letter used for fdisk.  Voila! 8Gb unless it truly is a broken
>> bit of tom-foolery.
>>
> The flash drive could be re-partitioned but to make its file type ext3
> instead of Fat32 restricts what OS-s can read it.

Now that i know it's a 4GB drive, I wouldn't format it ext3, but since
it's already formatted ext3 and I don't plan to use it  to exchange
data, I'll leave it as it is.

But, as I said. I still have this problem:

e2fsck -c /dev/sdb
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I would like very much to run a e2fsck on the drive. I picked this
drive in a bin were 8GB 4GB and 2GB drives... packages were mixed, all
selling for the same price, if I remember well. (Yes, that's Future
Shop's way.) Maybe it was just a packaging problem and all drives were
really 4GB, but maybe there's another problem. So, I would like to
check reliability.