Re: F12 Live CHECKSUM failing

On Saturday 19 December 2009, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 01:24 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Ktorrent hangs in there till somebody starts seeding what it needs, but I
>> have very very little experience with the others so can't say what they
>> do.
>>
>> I have seen the seed count goto zero a couple of times, but when I got up
>> the next morning, it had the file and was seeding it.
>
>Gene,
>
>In this case a better alternative to torrent would probably be rsync,
>especially since you probably have 99.99% of the right bits. The Fedora
>downloads site doesn't support rsync, but lots of its mirrors do.
>
>rsync's command line options can be a bit imposing if you haven't used
>it before. From your Fedora-12-x86_64-Live directory, type and run the
>following command line (this is long and may wrap, but it's all one line
>including the trailing " .").
>
>$ rsync -acvzP
>rsync://rsync.gtlib.gatech.edu/fedora-enchilada/linux/releases/12/Live/x86_
>64/Fedora-12-x86_64-Live.iso .
>
>This will do a block-by-block comparison of a known good source file at
>the Georgia Tech mirror against your local copy. It will replace any
>local blocks that don't match those on the mirror. It should only take
>rsync a very few minutes to repair your iso file.
>
>HTH
>
>--Doc Savage
>  Fairview Heights, IL

Its my understanding that restarting the torrent will do the same thing,
without needed the drive space for the 2nd copy of the file.  Both use
checksums over the individual 64k block of data, with rsync copying the data
locally to the 2nd file if they match, whereas torrent will replace the
defective 64k block insitu with the net fetch if the local is bad.  I would
imagine that the rsync times could be calculated to be a very small amount
longer due to the copying involved, but OTOH, connection latencies might
swamp that out.

We have about a foot of white stuff here & still coming down.  Here being WV,
about 100 miles north of Charleston on I-79.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Remember, extremism in the nondefense of moderation is not a virtue."
-- Peter Neumann, about usenet