Re: VMware Workstation with raw disk in F12

On 12/17/2009 09:19 AM, Michal wrote:
On 17/12/2009 16:49, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
I'm trying to work with a dual-boot machine, with VMware Workstation 7,
Fedora 12 as the host, and WinXP as the guest.

When I define the VM and select the raw disk, VMware configures the disk
as SCSI, even though the hardware is SATA.  I changed the .vmdk file to
make the disk IDE and set the geometry appropriately, but it still
doesn't work.  ISTR that there are also some changes needed to the .vmx
file, but I can't seem to find any reference to it when I google.  I
have an old configuration (that was working before I made some changes
to the disk partitions) that I've tried to extract changes from, but the
new version is different enough that I can't tell exactly what I need.

Any hints or sources?

Thanks.

I am confused what the problem is. Yes VMware configures it as SCSI even
though it's SATA...it will still work and run with no problems...

On Linux, ALL block devices are treated as if they're SCSI.  There is
no differentiation between IDE, SATA, SAS, fiberchannel, iSCSI, USB,
Firewire or true SCSI.  Even IDE-based CDROMs show up as /dev/srX.
This has been true for a very long time...at least a couple of years
and an early 2.6 kernel (2.6.4 rings a bell for some reason).

Since VMWare is being hosted by F12, it makes absolute sense why your
SATA drive appears to be SCSI.  I'm just rather surprised you just found
this out.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -