Re: How to identify 32 or 64 bits -

On 17/12/09 07:50, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 12/17/2009 06:11 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
    Can someone tell me how to determine if a computer can run 64 bit
    Fedora?

    I have two similar Dell desk top computers with what appears to be
    the same processor, one of which has had F-12 64 bit installed on it
    and seems to be happy. I always assumed they were 32 bit computers
    and really don't care which they are but wish to avoid using the
    b.w. to download another copy of F-12.

    I need to know before I can upgrade the second one.

    Thanks.

    Bob

As I indicated in the other thread,

# grep lm /proc/cpuinfo

If it returns nothing, your system is 32-bit.

Rahul

I'm sorry, I missed the "grep." So all I did was cat the /proc/info and didn't know what to look for?

This F-11 box yields:

   [bobg@box9 ~]$ grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
   "nothing returned"

While the Omega F-12 box yields:

   [bobg@box6 ~]$ grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
   flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
   cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
   syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid
   cx16 xtpr
   flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
   cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
   syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid
   cx16 xtpr

From which I shall conclude that box6 is 64 bit and will work with the version installed but that box9 will not.

So I will have to burn up some more of my b.w. allotment and download the final release. Ok, just as long as I know I'm not doing something unnecessary. I knew I was taking a chance with the RC1 version.

Once more I appreciate your work and the help.

Thank you.

Bob